- Date: June 22nd, 2014
- Chip time: 34:11
- Average Pace: 6:50 min/km
The preceding Strava activity is based on the GPX export from the activity on RunKeeper, which was tracked by Moves and automatically posted to RK by Moves Export. Separately, I turned on MapMyRun just before the starting line and it generated an activity report as well.
What went right:
- Plan of laying out clothes the night before worked.
- Decided against coffee and that was an OK decision. Read a book during breakfast, which took my mind off the nervousness of my first race.
- Took the train to Waterfront Station, then the 19 to the last stop at Stanley Park. I should have gotten off at Pipeline Rd. stop, not the final stop at the loop.
- Definitely happy with bringing my backpack. Using the Scotiabank-provided bag would not have been good enough.
- I ran the whole race, achieving the only goal I set for it.
- Basketball shorts worked OK (iPhone and battery case stayed in), but I still need real running shorts. With pockets.
- It probably would have been impossible to see Karen if she were waiting right at the finish line. I couldn't really see anybody's face since I was distracted by the excitement of finishing.
- Didn't really need my own snacks, since they had lots of sponsored snacks.
- I picked water up at two stations, which I'd do again. I only needed a sip each time. (What would my time have been if I didn't slow down to grab water? Maybe 33:30ish.)
What went wrong:
Not much went wrong. All of these are tiny details I should get right next time.
- I thought I wouldn't want to bring my earphones, but I missed hearing my interval times and pace. That was the most disappointing part of the race, and it was wasn't all that annoying.
- Slight panic moment when adjusting my bib just before the race. Invest more time the night before to attach it.
- I was also a little bored after the race when I got home and watched too much TV. Need a plan for "coming down" after the race.
- A little annoying at the start, as I was forced to walk a couple of times. Maybe I'll go in the serious runner's corral next time.
- A little smelly when running next to the ocean near the pool.
- I didn't stretch enough after the race. Plan to do yoga sometime during the day after the race.