The Best SkyTrain Photos on Flickr?
Last night I spent about an hour going through photos on Flickr tagged with 'skytrain'. (At some point I'll move on to another obsession, but until then... ) Not to be mistaken with photos of the elevated light rail in Bangkok with the similar title "Skytrain" (note the miniscule 't'), only ever having taken the Vancouver system, I had gone through the photos wondering which were the best ones. The ones I liked the most fit into two categories: photos of tracks and photos of blurry trains and/or tracks as the trains were in motion, using long exposures as well as a copule of photos of empty SkyTrain cars. Here are the highlights, with people I know personally disclosed.
Blurry or Long Exposure
- SkyTrain streak from hudrednorth
- CeeBee's "SkyTrain Vancouver
- "skytrain front seat (retreating)"
- Bill Stillwell's b&w photo
- Eldon Whalen's "G-Force"
- Terry Forrest's motion blur series
- if SMeaLLuM wins the award for coolest blurry SkyTrain tracks photo, who has a just as cool underground shot and another above ground he also wins the award for most annoying capitalization
- Will Pate's "Skytrain Under the City" wins the "Hey I Know That Guy" award (Roland, easily with the most photos tagged with 'skytrain', comes in a close second
- PoYang wins best use of stationary object (in this case, a human) of a train whizzing by
- Christopher Chen's "Bombardier SkyTrain" makes the train look like a white glob
- Eastbound train at an empty-looking Main Street Station, with a westbound train at the same station
- also at Main Street-Science World is "Expedited Parallels", with Pacific Central in the background
- "Commercial looking up..."
- "Tracking Over" in New Westminster
- "SkyTrain Tracks" (taken near where I took the elevated guideways shot)
- hundrednorth wins the "Hey I Know That Girl" award with what looks like a tree between the tracks (the photo appears to the right as well)
- Roland's in July 2004, one of the earliest posted to Flickr, of tracks near Gilmore Station
- a photo that makes the tracks seem higher than they are
- Travis Smith's photo of a train over Commercial Drive Station got entered in the "Hey I Know That Guy" category (he didn't win)
- Jonathan Schwartz posted multiple photos of tracks as did Stephanie (she wins the award in the "Person Other Than Me Or Roland to Have Photos Tagged With 'skyte'" category)
- two photos (1, 2) with sky between the tracks
- two more from Zoomlens (see the "Expedited Parallels" photo linked above), both involving a shopping cart: one with it as a central figure, another with it off to the side
Are there any photos, posted on Flickr, that I might have missed?
Photos I missed, including photos submitted to Flickr after I originally posted this:
- after seeing Dave Elton looking at a blurry SkyTrain, I check out his other photos tagged with 'skytrain', which includes a blurry SkyTrain in November 2005 near Stadium Station, and another colourful blurry train. More time passes, and he posts, on May 20th, 2006, a blurry SkyTrain near Quebec St. and another.
- Some great photos of SkyTrain arriving at Commercial Station: original and b&w version.
- A photo below the tracks, blurry, heading towards Main Street station.
- Brassy 1 posts the blurry lights of a passing SkyTrain